We went to the local rodeo last weekend and Trevor got the chance to do some mutton bustin'! Before the rodeo started there was a preliminary round where Trevor took first place, he rode the sheep all the way across the arena! He was then qualified for the finals (which were during the rodeo) where he just barely missed a trophy. The second time around he got one of the tiniest little sheep one that was way too small for him. I swear it looked about the size of a turkey! We got some fun pictures and enjoyed the rodeo.
Trevor getting on the sheep
Teaching him how to hold on
and he's riding
still riding... across the arena
walking back with pride
nice photo op
they even had horse rides at the rodeo
the bareback riders at work
The announcer was saying that the cowboys that do the bareback and bull riding actually have to pay to enter the rodeo and then if they don't stay on for the 8 seconds they don't get paid anything, they have to pay their own way to get to each rodeo and pay for their own hotel and food and then most of them walk away with nothing. Sheesh, tough gig.
The chicken scramble, if you catch it you get to take it home, I was praying my kids wouldn't catch it!
the final ride
Can't you see the resemblance to a turkey in this picture, the poor little sheep had to carry Trevor
The last bull rider's hand got stuck in the bull's harness, he was trampled (by a bull, not a horse I wish I had taken picture of the bull riders just to show their size)and taken away in an ambulance. It was awful to watch. He finally scrambled away and then collapsed. Everyone in the stands was gasping and the rodeo announcer just keeps talking like nothing was happening, talking about the next rodeo and such. It's not until I go to something like this that I remember that Zac's dad used to be a bull rider and do the exact same crazy thing! As I am sitting there watching these guys, imagining Grandpa riding a bull, all I could think was his poor, poor Mother! Come to find out, she couldn't even go to the rodeos to watch, I saw first hand exactly why! After the rodeo I told my kids they are NOT to grow up to be cowboys.
No comments:
Post a Comment