Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten



Derek had his first day of Kindergarten today! Crazy that I have a kid old enough to be going to school. He LOVED it, he was a little nervous but he said he had a fun day. There were a couple of criers in his class but it was no big deal to Derek he was so excited that he couldn't have cared less if I was around. He is going to a charter school that has a uniform so all he had to pick for the first day was the color of his shirt. For his first day he said they had picture day, read a story, colored, his teacher tested him on reading, they had snack time and play time. I made Derek brownies while he was at school (by request) so after I sat him down at the kitchen table and asked him all about his day while he ate. It worked very well because usually I don't get much details out of him and this time he was actually talking and I was hanging on every word. I am so excited and nervous for his first year of school although I know he'll do great, I'm just nervous because I really want him to enjoy school and continue to love learning.

2 comments:

Keri said...

Yay Derek! I'm glad he had a fun first day.

Katie L. said...

Aren't you the smart little mom. I'll have to try that trick. And yay for school. Derek looks so grown up, does he still sing?